The time has come for us to make our daughter her first proper bedroom. She’ll be moving rooms into our larger spare room, which used to belong to a little boy, who’s skill at darts, carving and staining carpets was clearly first class.
I’m excited at the prospect of creating a new room for Tibbs, but I’m also feeling curiously nervous and hugely responsible. This grimy, begging for a new look room is becoming a metaphor for motherhood itself. How much do I foist my own tastes, likes and interests on a little girl by decorating the space? How do I really know what she’s thinking and what she would like in her room, possibly for the next ten years?
For all I know, she might be the titchy equivalent of that Grand Designs guy and just can’t actually tell us. What if, in her tiny head, she’s got a look book that contains any of this kind of madness?
I love animals and anything to do with the outdoors, and she seems very keen on horses, dogs and other creatures. But if I make them a permanent feature in her room, am I guilty of trying to twist her taste my way? And pink…well, I like pink, especially pale pink and white stripes. But what if she’s more of a yellow fan? I like yellow too, and orange is my favourite. But who, aside from a Dutch football super fan, wants an orange room?
I’m not looking for a silver bullet here (let’s face it, they don’t belong in anyone’s bedroom) but how did you approach decorating your baby’s first bedroom? If you have any thoughts on the below dilemmas I’d be grateful:
- Did you use wall stickers so that you can make changes if you need to?
- Is a rug a bad idea, should I just accept dirt based defeat early on and get a hard wearing carpet?
- Should all the shelves be at her height, or my height?
- Is blackboard paint so she can create her own walls a silly idea?
- What should I leave space for? Play tent? Height chart? Armchair?
- I quite fancy a Bristol theme in there somewhere, is this too prescriptive again?
Lastly, I’m not mega worried about this, but how long after painting a room would you leave it before letting your baby sleep in it?